Our Grade II listed building in its present form was built sometime between 1773 and 1780. The cellar and foundations show evidence of reused stone and beams dating back to 1650.
The first recorded mention of 16 High Street East was in 1656 when it was part of an ancient dwelling house with outbuildings and land owned by James Smith. It embraced the properties known as 16, 18, 20 and 22 High Street East, together with 1 and 2 Reeves Yard and 25 South View. Reeves Yard is the original centre of Uppingham, dating back even further to the 12th and 13th centuries.
EXTENDING THE PREMISES
After the death of James Smith in 1735, it went through various forms of ownership. The one significant change during this time was effected by John Munton, the then owner, who in-filled the buildings in Reeves Yard onto the main street and produced the three storey building as seen today on High Street East, trading in the supply of coal. One year later it was divided up and number 16 was sold to Edward Southam, a local ironmonger who continued the tradition, as with previous owners, of conducting his business from the buildings in Reeves Yard and renting out the grander building to the gentry.
For the next 27 years, 16 High Street East remained in the Southam family until, in 1808, Edward Kemp bought the property and, until 1879, carried on with a drapers business. When his wife died, the trade at 16 High Street East changed again from drapery to hairdressing. A significant change at this time was the shop front, opening up onto the High Street. For almost a century, the Steward family sold such items as glass and china in the shop, whilst the hairdressing business was accessed via Reeves Yard. The Stewards operated a barber shop in what is now the bar whilst upstairs, on the first floor, was the ladies’ hairdressing salon, occupying what is now Rooms 1 and 2.